Well Aging Research Center
“Aging restoration and healthy longevity through challenging, innovative, and integrative approaches”
Well Aging Research Center is dedicated to research on integrative control and mechanism of aging process that will increase human lifespan maintaining individual health, strength, and vitality in collaboration with academic departments and research institutes in DGIST.
The Center will achieve global excellence in the well-aging field pursuing following scientific themes: 1) reversing aging with scientific and clinical approaches, 2) developing aging biomarkers and therapeutic tools, 3) developing diagnostic technology for imaging and monitoring system of aging.
In addition, the research center will be the leading institution in addressing environmental and ecological challenges regarding the super-aging society that the humanity will be facing in the near future through application of our own technologies.
Innovative and creative R&D on monitoring and controlling/restoration of human aging
Research on systemic convergence of muscle, nerve, vessel and immune system for human dignity and longevity - Controlling and treatments of degenerative disease
Research on centenarians and super-longevity
Major Research Fields
1. Identification of aging mechanism and controlling/restoration factors
- Discovery of Age-related genetic factor and mechanism research
- Research for restoration factors of senescent cells and their mechanism of action
- Comparison of controlling/restoration factors for the plant and animal aging
2. Cell/animal model for age related disease
- Discovery of materials for connection of aging phenotype and validation through chemical/natural compound screening (High Throughput Screening)
- Application of functional materials to age related disease
3. Clinical trials with selected new substances and technology of aging control
- Development of therapeutic, diagnostic/monitoring technology for aging control in collaboration with domestic/foreign research institutions, industries and hospitals
4. Human super-longevity research
- Research on the genetic/epigenetic factors or pattern of life style of centenarians