Although medical robotics is relatively at an early stage compared to industrial robots, medical robotic technology has drawn attention as upcoming promising technologies to lead the economy. The need of these medical robots are expected to be increased more through an engagement and utilization in various fields such as: life assistant robot for daily life, work assistant robot for improving work efficiency, and medical & health assistant for the elderly and disabled.
The Department of Robotics Engineering converges conventional engineering subjects -Mechanical, Electrical, Electronics Engineering, Mechatronics, and etc. ？ with advanced technology fields such as Biotechnology (BT), Information Technology (IT) and Micro/Nano technology (MT/NT). The department also conducts various cooperative researches with oversea universities, research institutes, and industries, expecting more synergy from diverse view points for innovation, efficiency, and production engineering.
The overall goals of the department are organized as follows:
- Fostering global robotics experts through the “Global Alliance Program” which allows collaboration with the world-leading universities for increasing research capability and global leadership in the medical robotics area
- Cultivating global mind within students by distinguished lectures of invited scholars, student exchange programs, and co-supervisory student thesis activities.
- Providing medical robotics specialized education combining robotics engineering and medical applications
- Carrying out a solid research education on four major research areas: Surgical Robot, Rehabilitation/Life Support Robot, Robot Design & Service Robot, and Bio Micro-Nano Robots/BRI
- Providing practical teaching based on interdisciplinary approach, integrated education system, and team-based learning system & projects
- Advanced robotic technologies to provide improved surgery experiences for both surgeons and patients
- A less invasive and more accurate surgery through the image-guided surgery
- Virtual and augmented reality technologies to practice surgical skills preoperatively
Rehabilitation Robot and Life Support Robot
- Optimization into robotics technology providing rehabilitation therapy to disabled persons and the elderly
- Life supportive robots such as home-living assistance robots to improve quality of life of the beneficiary
Bio Micro-Nano Robot/BRI
- Examination, diagnosis and drug delivery for targeted areas using micro/nano-robots
- BRI based neural prosthesis and external devices for treatment of brain and human body
Robot Design & Service Robot
- Robot design and optimization for medical and other advanced robotic applications
- Service robots based on advanced robot mechanism, sensors, actuators, control, machine vision, motion planning, navigation technologies to improve the quality of human life
|Department Chair||Suk-Ho Park||Location||Rm. 509, E5 Bldg.|