Skip to main content

현재 위치

  1. DGIST >
  2. PR Center >
  3. News

News

DGIST Selected for Research Center for Extreme Exploitation of Dark Data Project

  • 작성자: admineng
  • Created Date: 18.07.30
  • Modified Date: 18.09.03
  • IP: 10.170.9.133
  • View: 119

DGIST Selected for Research Center for Extreme Exploitation of Dark Data Project

- Securing a research grant of KRW 10.9 billion for the next seven years -




DGIST is set to develop a source technology of next generation big data platform using ‘dark data’ that has not been utilized as useful information and conduct a research to apply it to the data platform of national science and technology research.


On July 26, 'Research Center for Extreme Exploitation of Dark Data (Project Supervisor: Professor Min Soo Kim)’ was selected by the designated entry contest named ‘2018 Support Project for the Engineering Division of Advanced Research Center (ERC, Engineering Research Center)’, organized and run by the Ministry of Science and ICT and National Research Foundation of Korea. As a result of selection in the project, DGIST will receive funding for project expenses at 10.9 billion KRW, which includes 9.9 billion KRW from the national government and 990 million KRW from a municipal government (Daegu) by 2024. 


Dark data means data created by humans or machines but are too large or endlessly generated to be stored or analyzed, data whose existence is unknown or cannot be found even though it is stored somewhere, and data that cannot be used because it is not clear whether it is needed for users. The word ‘dark’ in dark data originated from ‘dark substance’ which is used in physics and biology, meaning that it takes up the most but is mysterious and unidentifiable.


Due to the huge cost to store and process data which is known to take up more than 90% of the data in the world as well as energy cost borne by data centers, advanced ICT nations are raising the strong necessity of conducting dark data research, led by the U.S.


DGIST ‘Dark Data Research Center’ plans to develop an information platform (EEDD platform) source technology of next generation which can analyze and use necessary information from dark data, by collecting, storing, managing, and processing an atypical form of data that takes up the most of dark data.


Especially, the center will conduct research on convergence technology such as high-speed data processing technology based on GPU (Graphic Processing Device) and SSD (Solid State Drive), edge computing, as well as a blockchain-based decentralized distributed file system that allows users to easily store, share, analyze, and use large-scale data, which has been considered impossible so far.


The center also plans to develop AI, blockchain, and intelligent distributed search technology that can block the creation of dark data at first by automatically extracting and sharing meta data and history information.


This project will be participated by 11 experts from relevant fields such as database, data mining, artificial intelligence (AI), computer system, network, medical engineering, brain science, and computational science from the hosting institutes DGIST and Seoul National University, POSTECH, Sungkyunkwan University, Seoul National University Hospital, Korea Institute of Science and Technology Information, and the Korea Institute of Brain Science. Also, DGIST will conduct joint research with global research institutes and universities such as IBM Thomas J. Watson Research Center and MIT in the United States.


Professor Kim said “We aim to take leading roles in researching and developing a technology that transforms the paradigm from the era of small data using only less than 10% of data to the true era of big data that uses up to the remaining 90% of dark data. With the growing importance of sharing and using research data as 87% of Nobel Prize-winning research is conducted through large-capacity research data analysis since 1914, we will develop and apply the related source technology to building a platform of national science and technology research data.


Meanwhile, Advanced Research Center Support Project is organized and run by the Ministry of Science and ICT and National Research Foundation of Korea to cultivate core research areas with global competitiveness and enhance the basic national research competence, by identifying and fostering talented research groups with creativity and excellence. Especially, big data and artificial intelligence fields were designated for entry this year due to their importance. DGIST Dark Data Research Center was selected among the 4 research centers that applied to the designated entry of big data.


Reply 0 Comment 0 Recommended 0