CPS Research Center
In April 2014, a DGIST research proposal on CPS resiliency won Korean government funding of approximately 16 million USD. The Research Center for Resilient Cyber-Physical Systems has begun its 8 year journey on R&D for creating a safe, convenient and energy-efficient future society.
The center focuses on Real time Resilient Cyber-Physical Systems Software Technology. A Cyber-Physical System (CPS) is a system of collaborating computational elements controlling physical entities. Cyber Physical Systems (CPS) technology is playing a more and more important role for a safe, convenient and energy-efficient society. As CPS technology applies to critical infrastructures, malfunctions due to external attacks with malicious intent and internal faults shall be seriously investigated.
In the future, CPS is expected to include more connected subsystems and real-time feedback loops that will increase vulnerability. Resiliency against faults and attacks is necessary. The outcome will contribute to the economic growth to the local and national economy as well as a technology based, safe, convenient and energy efficient society.
The center focuses on Real-time Resilient Cyber-Physical Systems Software Technology that enables:
- Continuous operation despite external attacks or internal faults
- Reduced capacity operation if the severity of faults and attacks is too high to maintain full operation
- System SW monitoring to prevent unstable operation
- Graceful degradation if failure is inevitable
Major Research Fields
- Identifying attacks on sensors and actuators
- Combining multiple controllers outputs
- Reconfiguring controller SW
- Developing routing strategy based on task types
- Identifying cyber-physical attack
- Securing real time recovery
- Modeling trade-off between performance and resiliency
- Component based resource allocation
- Real time virtual machine with monitoring
- Resiliency manager
Real Time Software Security/Verification
- Static SW verification for resiliency, real-time constraint, security
- Dynamic SW verification for errors and abnormal behaviors